Sunday, February 14, 2016

Honu - Hawaii 70.3 - My first half Ironman!


I like to just go for things, hence how 2015 ended up being the year I'd complete my first half and full Ironman. Hawaii 70.3 is popular here on Oahu in the triathlon community and so it seemed like a good race to participate in. Convinced a good friend from Colorado to join us at Hawaii 70.3 and we were set. 


3 bikes, 3 people in a small little rental car. Yeah, we pretty much rock. 

Before the race begins!
Before the race begins!
Honu. My first half Ironman. I was so dang nervous going into the race because of the swim. Could I do the distance? Could I do it in the cut off time? I was improving my swimming and I thought doing pretty good, but I hadn't really tested it. Let's be honest here... I was always a bit terrified of sharks. Thank goodness, the swim went really well and then I headed off to the bike, which also went really well. Where I started to fall apart was mile 7 of the run. It got to FRICKIN' HOT! Seriously, there is a part of the run they call HELLS KITCHEN! It is exactly what it sounds like..... black top, surrounded by lava rock, boiling you as you try and run through it at the hottest part of the day. I missed my goal time, which I am confident is because the heat got me. I remember to be a bit shocked to see my friend not far in friend of me, and thought he must be having trouble with the heat also.

When I arrived at the finish my husband and Garrett where there to greet me, which was amazing. As we walked away from the finish line I remember Garrett saying "Tom isn't doing well"... And I had no idea what he meant, until a minute or two later and I really looked at my husband. He didn't look well. Let's just say.... extreme cramping, throwing up and hours in the medical tent summed up the finish - but we all finished, all survived and all enjoyed the rest of the evening on Big Island (Tom maybe not as much enjoyed it!)

I also got introduced and completed a new distance that I would absolutely love!


We all survived (barely... cough, Tom, cough)! ....





Love this picture of my husband!

After the race we headed back to Oahu and spent a couple more days hanging out with our friend and just enjoying Oahu. Thanks Garrett for coming out and racing my first half Ironman with us! Glad I have such crazy friends who join in on my crazyness! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment