Wednesday, January 1, 2014

State 2: California - Operation Jack Marathon

State number 2. 18 days after my first ever marathon!

I have a routine when I run a marathon. Or when I go out for a long run. I like my routine - I am comfortable with my routine and knowing it will bring me success. I didn't stick to a single thing with my routine for this marathon. And it worked out just fine - it taught me I don't necessarily need to stick to my routine. I also realize that by traveling to 50 states from Hawaii to run marathons it is unrealistic to rely on routine. So thank you Operation Jack for making me realize this. 

So why the lack of routine you may be wondering? Well hubby and I decided to take a road trip through California for the holidays! We started up north and ended in San Diego. We ran the Operation Jack Marathon about half way in between - the day after Christmas! 

The day before the marathon we spent driving from Half Moon Bay to LA area - we took the 1 which took us much longer then I originally thought! Our food for the day was not consistent, but at least we had a consistent water/Gatorade intake! The days leading up to the marathon? Completely off our normal diet and lots of brewery stops! Hey - I wasn't missing any of what we wanted to do in California! Plus, my hubby is a bit of a beer snob - so of course we had to hit up some brewery for tours and try new beers. 

All of this led us to the morning after Christmas at the Operation Jack marathon.  I woke up not wanting to run a mile yet alone 26.2 of them that morning. I watched my husband crawl out of bed and begin to get ready to leave. I knew I needed to do the same. He was very excited because this was going to be his first marathon. I wasn't at the time feeling the same level of excitement. However, I dragged myself out of bed and began to get ready. We stopped at a local grocery store to get some bread and peanut butter for breakfast.

Did I mention that I was cold too? Haha! I was definitely not waking up to a Hawaii morning! We made it down to the parking lot at Dockweiler state beach park. We looked at the board to see what number we were assigned. I was bib # 106. We then stood in line to get our bib and t-shirt. I tried not to be a wuss and bounce around too much from the chilly temperature - but I failed. While waiting in line a friend I had met at the Honolulu Marathon and I knew was running Operation Jack found me. We chatted for a couple minutes and then I went and sat back in the car to warm up some! I know, I know, I'm a wuss!

As the start time was approaching I took off my jacket and got out of the car to stretch. Lucky for me it was starting to warm up (though not a crazy amount). I am learning that ideal temperature for marathons are such a temperamental thing! We all gathered around the start line, listened to the route and off we went! At .2 miles in we saw this guy.....
This guy was amazing. He ran the whole race (ahead of me) and was at numerous spots a long the course cheering all the runners on! You rock are we there yet guy! (His sign said more then that too!)
The course was beautiful along the beach. It followed a bike path where bikes were actively going the entire race.For someone into biking also, like me, this was actually neat. Most of the bikes that passed were really nice bikes and gave me something to gawk at. The weather was beautiful and I was doing well on keeping pace. My only goal at this point in time was to beat my Honolulu time. My secret goal was to get under 5:30. 
At about mile 5 I began running right on pace with another gentleman. He and I ran the remainder of his race together (He was doing the half) and we chatted the entire time. This was nice as it kept me busy and not in my own head the entire time. He was a really nice guy and I found out he will be out in Hawaii running the half marathon I'm signed up for in April. Maybe we will run into each other again! 
My running partner and I for about 8 miles.


The weather was warm but not too warm the entire time. This was amazing and perfect for me. All around - I was feeling good this race significantly longer then I did in Honolulu! The only major issue I ran into was I had forgotten to put deodorant on the morning of the marathon and I began chaffing under my right arm beginning at mile 6 and struggled with it the entire time. 20 more miles of chaffing was certainly no fun. At one point in the race (around mile 20-21) I considered stopping one of the many bikers going by and asking them to turn around and look for guy with bib #107 at the finish line and ask him to have athletic tape for me as I ran by for the final loop before finishing. But I didn't. But honestly I STRONGLY considered it. Here I am about a week out now and it is still bad and tender. I will never forget deodorant again in my life. 

I struggled less and less during Operation Jack with my butt muscles cramping. However that being said it still happened, but I got better at keeping it at bay and also getting it to go away. I didn't use the nuun liquid I usually use or train with but instead drank what they provided. Which I believe was something made by GU. At each aid station except the first (I always skip the first) I would take that and a water. This really seemed to help. 

I began to struggle around mile 23. But I finished it! And most importantly I beat both goals (barely!).... I beat Honolulu and I got in under 5:30
Official time for Operation Jack...... 5:29:52

Just squeaked in under 5:30!


Hubby running his first marathon!

 Rocked it!

Looking forward to the next one..... on my 25th birthday! Louisiana here I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment